Monday 1 July 2013

An Emm in the Somme

Much has been written about the Somme today.  This is only right and proper.  Ninety-seven years after this terrible start to the Battle of the Somme, to have different generations and different peoples represented to commemorate The Fallen is a fitting tribute.  There are a million and one stories about this tragic day in the fields of Picardy and I do not intend here to enter the Lions led by Donkeys v cruel necessity debate.

However my little vignette about why it's important to remember the Somme is in this photo.  I found F.T Emm a few years ago at Louvencourt Cemetery north of Albert.  I was visiting with my parents who wanted to see and know all about 'The Somme'.  I took to them all the obvious places and some not so obvious.  We had to make a special journey to Louvencourt as it is well off the beaten track.

One of my reasons to remember the Somme is simply to find out who F T Emm was.  I know he was a Private who died on August 27th 1916.  He was serving with the 1st/3rd South Midland Field Ambulance as part of the Royal Army Medical Corps.  He may be a relative or he may just be another Emm!  Ultimately that is not important.  What matters to me (and I hope him) is that I discover more about F Emm's story and tell other people; my students, his/our family, my parents, my sister, my young children and one day they can pass the story on themselves.

JHGS students visit the Somme every October, but we never go to Louvencourt.  Indeed it is about time I went back, this time with my young children. So I will promise you, myself and him that next time I pay him a visit, I will have found out some more about him and keep his story alive.  Maybe August 27th 2016 would be a good time!

Oh, I forgot to say, he was just 22 when he died!

1 comment:

  1. I think this may be my great uncle Tom who was fortunate enought to meet up with his brother (my grandfather) George H Emm (RE) a couple of weeks before he was killed by a shell burst, whilst moving injured back from the front line. Sorry to have misses the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete